Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Five Perfumes for Long Haul Flights


Deciding what perfume to take on my semi-frequent long haul (24+ hour) flight is a work in progress. I used to take lavender based perfumes on the theory they would help me relax. What I found, though, was that I didn't need help relaxing; that I was tired was a given. I have discovered that what benefits me is something to wake me up and give me a lift when I have to deplane mid journey, or on arrival when I'm waiting in a long queues for customs. Citrus based colognes, especially grapefruit, give me that desired lift. I've tried many but on my current rotation are some of the colognes pictured above.

Starting top left and going clockwise:

Jo Malone Grapefruit - The initial blast of grapefruit is a real wake up call. It soon softens and fades to an aromatic citrus but it is still refreshing.

Abahna White Grapefruit & May Chang - This is a very sharp, pungent grapefruit, a little like a slap in the face to get your attention! This affect fades but the may chang gives a verbana-like scent which keeps the freshness going much longer than Jo Malone Grapefruit.

L'Occitaine Verbena or Citrus Verbena - There have been various versions of this the last ten years. The Citrus Verbena tends to smell like fresh lemon zest--super enlivening!-- while the verbena is usually more of a fresh aromatic. Both are extremely refreshing in lieu of the shower I so badly want on hour 17 of the journey.

Lisa Hoffman Madagascar Orchid -  Lisa Hoffman used to sell these adorable little kits where she would take a scent and tweak it four ways, for use from morning to night. They were oils and I still have some of the Madagascar Orchid, Tunisian Fig and Japanese Agarwood. This is the rare instance when I prefer the oil version to the perfume spray she is currently selling. Please bring these back, Lisa! The Madagascar Orchid is not a citrus like the perfumes described above. This is a pretty powdery flower that is so gentle yet so beautiful, it automatically makes you feel more relaxed and calm when you apply. It is very close to the skin.

Cinq Mondes Eau Egyptienne - This is actually a face refreshing spray in a cute travel size that I got from Beautyhabit. Fragrantica says: "This fine mist for hair and body incorporates skin softening lotus flower and ten key essential oils from the kyphi recipe." Rose geranium and mint for their toning effect,; cypress, juniper, myrrh and jasmine for their purifying  action; cumin and incense for relaxing properties, and mastic for lymphatic stimulation. This one is very bracing and makes me feel clean and rejuvenated.

Of course, anything I wear on a plane needs to be a super light skin scent just for me, and preferably it is a natural. It also has to come in a small bottle or roll on. This is my justification for all the gift with purchase bags I acquire! They always have some of these treats.


I will only bring one perfume on board the flight. There are certain other things I always have with me though. A cute bag doesn't hurt! Clockwise, winding back around to center:

100 % Pure Lip Butter - This one happens to be strawberry. My lips always go dry on a plane but I don't necessarily want to fool with lipstick. This one has a bit of color for the lips.
Aerin Rose Hand Lotion by Estee Lauder - This could be anything. I'm not brand loyal, it's just whatever I have a sample of on hand. This one has a pleasant rose scent.
Earplugs - I tend to sit over the wings because I hate flying and it's more stable there. But the engines can be loud and if all else fails it is nice to have these on hand.
Face Cream sample - This one happens to be Estee Lauder but it could be anything. I'll smear it on my face about half way through the flight.
Pills - My Jemima Puddle Duck tin once held mints but now it is the perfect pill carrier. This will always contain Melatonin, aspirin, and Clarityn.
Throat Lozenges - This is a local Chinese brand but Strepsils works too for dry throat and coughing attacks.
File - Because my nails always crumble on flights. Plane air sucks the moisture right out of them.
Towel for cleaning eyeglasses - Wearing contacts on long haul flights is a big no no for me these days. My eye balls get too dry, but my glasses seem to get covered in fingerprints. It's nice to have this scratch proof towel to clean them.
Tiger Balm - I often develop an ache at some point along the flight and it's great to have this warming ointment. It also is good for smearing under the nose if it gets stuffy. The menthol smell will open you right up!

I don't enjoy flying, but having a few small luxuries on hand makes a painful ordeal that bit more comfortable. Do you have any "can't live without" luxuries for travel?

4 comments :

Pam aka Mom said...

I have some Fresh Lemon Perfume that reminds me of you every time I spray it. You should check out their Grapefruit too.

Cynthia said...

Yes, I remember Love's Fresh Lemon from 8th grade era!

Undina said...

On my flights I have everything you've mentioned (in different brands but the same set) but the tiger balm: even though it would help me from a headache I don't think I'd dare to use it on a plane :)

My most recent choice of perfume for flying is Volutes by Diptyque from a tiny roll-on bottle.

Cynthia said...

I love Volutes! Tiny perfume bottles come in very handy for trips.